Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Ozarks


Hillbillies
“Hey ya’ll. I’m fixin’ suppa and we gon eat at half past.  Gon and wash up now.”
This is an example of typical sentence heard in Tennessee.  When I first traveled to Franklin, I was only really familiar with Valley Girl, California vernacular.  Words like supper were something I saw in movies or The Beverly Hillbillies.  I equated these phrases with Southerners and just assumed that they had a lower IQ.  This is a common misconception thanks to the stereotypical hillbilly moniker.

In fact, I found that most “hillbillies” are really just simple people, living within necessary means.  They do not have flamboyant houses or cars and that is the way they like it!  I have spent time on many a farm in Tennessee because most people have them in their backyard.  Actually, it is quite relaxing and humbling to be in a self-sustaining home.  My favorite part of Franklin is the down-home feel and if that means I’m a hillbilly than pass that moonshine on down!

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhRD4DEHw6Pmo5UQv2CPl3hd1E58kQwDI-hQ_IHMSCAtUcUYFLB_IDKa6u7t8w1wRKvXPpBmMMi4eW-tspFkpm0MaPjbndDBMpIl0qQnjD8bARceToTJk85DxV9VnigBUbFwVpBffsuFz4/s1600/Anatomy+of+a+Hillbilly.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment